Trust in Your Prayers

Raising a 17-year-old boy is no picnic. I am sure I am not saying anything that has not been said or experienced before, but I thought I would write about it and better explain my viewpoint. Being a single dad and raising my youngest of four children has been exhilarating as well as exhausting. I love my son with all my heart and when I stop and think about it, he is a really good kid. So then, what's the problem-right? Well, that's just it, maybe there is no problem at all.

Everything that my child does, good or not so good is in perfect balance with what any 17 year old would be doing. His grades are upper middle of the road but certainly not where they could be. His car looks like a hurricane hit it on the inside, and of course trying to get him to comprehend the price of gas, is a complete waste of my time. On the other hand, he is not strung out on drugs, he has not missed one day of school this year, and he never texts while he drives. So where's the problem, right?

OK, I admit it, the problem is with me. I am the one with the issues. I am the one who seems to have an open door policy for the devil to walk in at anytime and confuse the hell out of me or better still make we worry myself crazy. Until the other day, when that all changed.

I was reading a book and my son came out of his room and asked if he could go over to his friend's house and ride his skateboard around the smoothly paved streets of his buddies neighborhood. My first reaction was "sure, why not" until I remembered that his friend's house was near some old friends that were always up to no good. I started to think, and then began to worry. What if he runs into those guys? What if he falls prey to the drugs and other stuff that is sure to be present? My mind was racing 100 miles an hour all in 2 minutes. When I finally snapped out of it, I looked up and my son is starring me right in the face. Again he's asking, can I go dad, can I go?

Before I could answer, he looked me in the eye face to face with his loving peaceful and ever so innocent eyes and said "Dad, worry is a sin" I was floored! This child had just grown up right before my eyes. As parents we are always looking to lead our children but sometimes we get so caught up in life that we miss it and its our children that bring us back on track.

My son left that day a responsible young man who understood the weight of a parent. I am sure he will make his share of mistakes and there will be many more teaching moments from me as we go along, but on that day, I was the student. What I learned is that fear and worry indeed do cancel out all prayer. You can't have it both ways. I would pray my heart out and then immediately afterwards be in a complete trance of worry. So much, that I would feel frozen and helpless. This is no way to live.

Worry is a sin, and I have since learned to believe in my prayers. When I ask God to watch over my children, I must trust that he will. I can no longer ask for help and the take away his power. The last couple of weeks my life has been so much more at peace. The Lord has certainly come through for me and taken care of things that seemingly I could not. If you are one who struggles with constant fear and worry, take a break and cast your cares. God will handle your load and allow you to relax and just be at peace. I promise you it works, just ask my child. The choice is within.

B. Patrick Lewis, is a trained Chef, Author and Speaker. Check out his new book 'In the Weeds" and other articles at http://choicewithin.com/


Original article

No comments: